Why hire a Human Resource Consultant or Generalist?
For many small businesses, there are a number of advantages to hiring an outside consultant, the most important of which includes having a positive impact on your company’s bottom line. These are just a few ways:
Recruiting – A HR Consultant can assist in the area of recruiting the right person for the job. They can give small business owners the best tips on recruitment strategies in order to make the best hiring decision. Ultimately this will save thousands of dollars on ineffective strategies by creating a productive workforce.
Litigation -An HR consultant can assist in handling employee relations matters, such as investigating informal and formal complaints file by employees alleging that your company has engaged in unfair employment practices. The advantage of having an external consultant is that it preserves the integrity of workplace investigations.
In addition, an HR consultant who is specially trained to mediate workplace disputes can save a company the excessive cost of litigating an employment case. HR consultants may also advise you on proactive measures to ensure employee satisfaction so that you can mitigate future risks of liability concerning employee issues.
Expertise – HR consultants have to stay current on HR business practises and labour law to be valuable to their clients. Small-business owners who don’t have a dedicated HR department within their companies benefit from an HR consultant who can provide guidance on the day-to-day operations. Even if there’s an HR staff member in place, the HR consultant can advise them on HR functions that will sustain employee engagement and productivity.
Outsourcing – Outsourcing your HR would include such services as processing payroll or administering employee benefits. Many HR consultants are well-versed in the pros and cons that these outsourcing functions provide. While an HR consultant may not perform the duties of an outsource provider, they can help you decide whether to hire a provider or help you weigh the benefits of one provider over another.
Strategy – Strategic human capital development is an HR consultant’s strength. “HCM” is a people-focused approach to HR that unites a variety of human resource processes to work as one—from recruiting and onboarding, to payroll and benefits, to workforce and performance management.
The key to strategic HCM is treating your employees like an investment. To do that, you must take into account all parts of the employee life-cycle, from recruitment to retirement. Without taking these into consideration, your human capital management strategies will never be as effective as they otherwise could be.
Why is Cultural Sensitivity Training Important and what are the Consequences of Cultural Insensitivity?
We may all have a bias that we are unaware of. Humans are inherently biased, in the sense that we are permanently taking mental shortcuts to translate the ambiguous information of our environment into (seemingly) meaningful thoughts and ideas. We crave constant meaning, so we can’t stop fabricating it, even where there is none: we are meaning making machines, with minimal need for actual facts or objective data. This can often be found in the rumour monger or fake news stories that we find so titillating.
Cultural insensitivity and ignorance can take a toll on your business. The damage may be internal, by alienating and distressing employees, or damaging negotiations and relationships with other businesses. In addition, consumers are increasingly demanding that businesses demonstrate a commitment to cultural respect. Failure to do so could result in loss of reputation and sales.
Disgruntled employees: Employees like to feel appreciated and respected by their employers. When employees don’t feel this way, they can become anxious, angry and depressed. They may also feel uncomfortable bringing up their concerns with management because they feel it will not be taken seriously or may even face retaliation.
Missed business opportunities: Cultural gaffes can derail negotiations and result in missed opportunities. Most business people are professional and understand that not everyone fully understands the nuances of their culture. However, a failure to make an effort to educate yourself, and your team, about the cultural norms of a vendor or retailer could result in giving offense and make negotiations more difficult.
Brand damage: Cultural insensitivity can deeply offend customers and the general public. Exposure to cultural insensitivity can be painful for people from that culture and could result in damage to your company’s image and reputation.
What you can expect from Human Resource Consulting?
- Advising management on the administration of human resources policies and procedures
- Serving as internal consultants by analyzing a company’s current HR programs and recommending solutions
- Developing, revising, and implementing HR policies and procedures
- Ensuring HR programs and services are in compliance with established policies and procedures and state/federal laws and regulations
- Assisting with the development and coordination of recommended changes regarding workflow
- Developing methods for compiling and analyzing data for reports and special projects
- Conducting audits of HR activities to ensure compliance
- Presenting training sessions related to specific HR programs
- Consider staffing logistics and assist in recruiting staff for the organization
- Assist in space planning
- Consult in the personal and professional development of the organization’s personnel, which involves employee orientation, development and training
- Consult in the area of employee welfare, safety, wellness and health and assist in or create the development and implementation of policy documents and handbooks that can be referred to by employees
- HR policy development and documentation inline with the company’s corporate vision
- Consult on performance management working closely with senior management within the organization
- Consult in the development of compensation and benefits systems that fit the company’s HR responsibilities
- Conflict resolution
- Cultural Sensitivity Training
Human Resources Consulting – HR Consulting Services – Saskatoon – Saskatchewan – Canada